Cefixime is an antibiotic drug of the cephalosporin class.
Antibiotics drugs are of two types, penicillin & cephalosporin. Some other cephalosporin drugs are cefpodoxime, ceftriaxone & cefotaxime, etc.
- Uncomplicated UTI infections
- Ear infections
- Pharyngitis, infection & inflammation of the pharynx
- Tonsilitis, infection & inflammation of the tonsils.
- Chronic bronchitis
- Typhoid fever
- Lyme disease
- Uncomplicated cervical or urethral gonorrhea.
DOSAGE OF CEFIXIME
Dosage forms available:
- Film coated tablets: 200 mg, 400 mg
- Capsules: 400 mg
- Chewable tablets: 100 mg, 150 mg, 200 mg
- Powder for suspension: 100 mg/ 5 ml, 200 mg/ 5 ml, 500 mg/ 5 ml.
Dosage guidelines (for adults):
- 400 mg tablet or capsule once daily, or 200 mg tablet twice in 12 hours, for 10 days – in UTI.
- 400 mg tablet once daily, or 200 mg oral suspension twice in 12 hours, for 10 days – in middle ear infections.
- Tablet or capsule 400 mg once daily for 10 days – in Gonorrhea.
- Other doses depend on factors like the type & location of infection, bacteria, age, sex, presence of underlying diseases, immunity & doctor’s guidance.
Missed Dose: Take the missed dose of cefixime as soon as you remember. Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next scheduled dose. Do not take extra doses of cefixime to make up the missed dose.
a) In case of overdose, administration of gastric lavage & inducing vomiting may help.
b) Supportive therapy.
- Abdominal pain
- Joint pain
ADVERSE EFFECTS ARISING FROM CEFIXIME
- Severe inflammation of the colon
- Facial edema
- Anaphylactic shock
- Steven-Johnson Syndrome
- Serum sickness
- Liver dysfunction
- Elevated levels of enzymes like SGOT, SGPT, alkaline phosphatase, etc.
- Hepatitis & Jaundice
- Elevated creatine levels & kidney dysfunction
- Lowered levels of RBCs & WBCs
- Increased bile secretion & retention.
PRECAUTIONS & CONTRAINDICATIONS
Cefixime is contraindicated & precaution is advised in patients with following conditions:
- Previous allergy to antibiotics, penicillins or cephalosporins.
- Renal disease
- Hepatic disease
- Weak immune system
INTERACTIONS OF CEFIXIME
- Carbamazepine when given in presence of cefixime, shows elevated levels of the former.
- When given in the present of anti coagulant drugs like warfarin can lead to increased clotting time and interfere with action of warfarin.
- Probenecid increases the blood concentration of cefixime when given in its presence.
- When combined with aminoglycoside drugs like tobramycin can lead to additive antibacterial effect.
- Exenatide, reduce the absorption of Cefixime when given in its presence.
- Cefixim has been reported to cause false-positive reactions for ketones in the urine with tests using nitroprusside, but not with tests using nitroferricyanide.
IN PREGNANCY, BREASTFEEDING & CHILDREN
- Pregnancy: Cefixime is listed as a Pregnancy Category B drug. No adequate studies are available for effect of the drug on pregnant women.
- Breast feeding: Enough details of cefixime in breast feeding women are not known.
- Children: Cefixime is approved for used in children (6 months – 12 years) for ear infections, tonsilitis, bronchitis, etc.