A healthy diet and a strong immunity system go hand in hand. Everyday preventive measures are hand washing, avoiding contact with sick, staying indoors & maintaining social distance. These can help go a long way in reducing your risk for the virus.
However, there is evidence that a nutritious diet can influence the immune system. It reduces the chance of infectious disease.
Few ways to improve immunity
- Diet – Low fat plant-based green vegetables may help give the immune system a boost.
- Vitamins, Minerals and antioxidants – Fruits and vegetables provide nutrients like beta carotene, vitamin c and fit E which are rich in antioxidants.
- Keep stress under control – Long term stress leads to elevation of the steroid hormone cortisol. The immune system gets blocked from doing its job when the cortisol level is constantly high.
- Get plenty of good sleep – Body heals and regenerates while you sleep and improves the immune response.
- Exercise regularly – Developing the risk of chronic disease and infections can be lowered by regular exercise.
- Avoid alcohol consumption. Drinking a high amount of alcohol is associated with a range of negative health effects. It also lowers the immune function.
- Stop smoking – Anything that is toxin can compromise the immune system.
- Keep symptoms of the chronic conditions under control. Hypertension, diabetes, asthma, heart & kidney disease can affect the immune system. It also increases the risk of infection.
Following these advice can help in boosting the immune system and help keep a check on infections and disease.