Elderly care, keeping elderly people around us healthy should be our prime responsibility. The elderly are prone to infectious diseases due to weakened immune systems. Here are a few tips shared by our experts at Health Room which we can follow to keep the elderly healthy:
- Get sound sleep: Insomnia is one of the common problems among senior citizens. But it is important to get at least 8 hours of sleep. Having dinner at the right time and then switching off the light is one way to make this habit.
- Eat healthy: The digestive system gets weak with age and hence there are lots of food that must be avoided by senior citizens. High fiber fruit, whole grains and green vegetable must be taken every day.
- Preventive tests: It is important for senior citizens to get full body checkup at least twice a year. As it is said, prevention is better than cure, checkup for cholesterol, heart issues and cancers must be detected at an early stage to be able to treat them.
- Mental health: Mental health is often ignored in India. Senior citizens often spend their time alone in isolation which directly affects their mental health. Elderly people should keep themselves engaged in some activities always.
- Dental checkup: Dental problems are often ignored as people in India take it lightly due to non-life threatening problems. “A stitch in time saves nine”.
Taking these simple precautions will ensure a healthy life for the elderly. For any queries, comment below or contact us on our social media channels.